The west Bengal Matsya jeebi credit card scheme is a government scheme of West Bengal to provide financial support to fishermen and fish farmers of the state to improve their living conditions.
The Matyjajeebi Credit Card is a loan facility designed to provide fish farmers with institutional short-term financial assistance for their working capital requirements. The scheme is intended to reduce the reliance of farmers on the informal banking system for credit, and is also intended to promote self-sufficiency, employment, and income generation, as well as increase production.
Table of Contents
West Bengal Matsya Jeebi Credit Card Scheme 2023
Matsyajibi credit card scheme is an initiative of the Government of West Bengal. The aim of this scheme is to provide financial support to the fishermen and the fish farmers of the state. The maximum amount that fishermen can get under this scheme is Rs. 2,00,000. The interest rate of this loan is 7%. No guarantee is required for this loan. The maximum amount of this loan is Rs. 1,600,000. The fishermen can repay this loan after harvesting and after marketing.
Objective of Matsya jeebi Credit Card
The objective of the Matsya Jeebi Credit Card (MJCC) is to provide adequate and timely short-term credit support from the banking system under a single window with flexible and simplified procedures to fish farmers for their working capital requirements towards fresh water fish/prawn culture (including cold water), brackish water shrimp/fish/crab culture, fish/shrimp/prawns/crabs/seed rearing, capture fisheries in fresh water and marine sector, and allied fish business.
Get Up to Rs.10 Lakhs for Your Education – West Bengal Student Credit Card
Benefits of the Matsya Jeebi Credit Card Scheme
The Matsya Jeebi Credit Card (MJCC) Scheme is a beneficial scheme for fish farmers as it provides them with access to affordable credit and helps them to improve their productivity and income. Here are some of the benefits of the scheme:
- Access to affordable credit: The MJCC provides fish farmers with access to credit at a subsidized interest rate. A rebate of 3% will be given if the fishermen repays the loan on or before the due date.
- Flexible repayment schedule: The MJCC offers a flexible repayment schedule that can be adjusted to the farmer’s cash flow. No guarantee is required for loans up to Rs 1.6 lakh.
- Single credit facility: The MJCC acts as a single credit facility for all aquaculture requirements of the fish farmers. This saves them the hassle of applying for multiple loans from different banks.
- Rescheduling of payments: The MJCC allows farmers to reschedule their payments in case of a bad crop season. This provides them with much-needed financial relief during difficult times.
- No collateral requirement: The MJCC does not require any collateral from farmers up to a certain loan amount upto Rs. 200000/-. This makes it easier for small and marginal farmers to avail of the scheme.
- Technical assistance: The MJCC provides technical assistance to farmers to help them improve their aquaculture practices. This helps them to increase their productivity and income.
Features of the Matsya Jeebi Credit Card (MJCC)
Here are some of the features of the MJCC:
- All fish farmers including small and marginal farmers are eligible for the Matsya Jeebi Credit Card.
- Eligibility for MJCC may also be extended to the fish farmers dealing with both fresh and brackish waters as well as fisher folk involved in capture fishery in marine sector.
- Fisher folk engaged in dry fish processing, and other allied fish business (like door to door fish vending, pickles, papad maker from fish/shrimp, ornament maker from fish scales etc.) can have MJCC.
- It simplifies the loan as it requires onetime documentation, and all subsequent documentation is based on the farmer’s declaration of process and production.
- It allows cash credit to farmers to take care of expenses like fish seed, fish feed, fertilizers, medicine and other prophylactics, electricity, fuel charges etc.
- The credit limit is based on the area under pisciculture as well as culture type.
- It offers flexible repayment schedule after the harvest season and enables rescheduling of payments in case of a bad crop season.
- Farmers can use it to take loans.
- It acts as a single credit facility for the farmer for all aquaculture requirements.
- Any number of withdrawals may be dealt subject to credit limit.
- Repayment- only after harvest and marketing
What is the Eligibility for Matsya Jeebi Credit Card
To Get Matsya Jeebi Credit Card the applicant should match the following criteria :
- The Applicant must be a resident of West Bengal
- For Inland Fisheries & Aquaculture
- The beneficiary shall own or lease any Fishery-related activities, including but not limited to, a pond, a tank, an open water body, a raceway, a hatchery, a rearing unit, and the necessary licenses for fish farming and fish related activities, as well as any other fishing activities and allied activities.
- The beneficiary shall own or rent any Fishery-related activities, including, but not limited to, ponds, tanks, open waters, raceways, hatcheries, rearing units, possess the necessary licenses for fish-farming and fishing-related activities, and any other fishing activities and associated activities.
- Marine Fisheries
- The beneficiaries listed as other are: other owners or lessees of registered fishing vessels/boats; possess the necessary fishing license/authorisation from the competent authority for estuary and sea fishing; fish farming/mariculture in estuaries or open seas; and any other fishing and allied activities.
Source : WBXpress
Documents Required for Matsya Jeebi Credit Card
The following documents are Required to apply :
- Proof of Residence
- Aadhaar Card
- Voter Card
- Biometric IC for fishermen
- Driving Licence
- PAN Card
- Recent telephone or electric bill
- Certificate issued by Govt. Authority or Local Panchayet or Municipalities
- Proof of Identity
- Aadhaar Card
- PAN Card
- Land schedule of pond (self attested).
- Documents related to the ownership of pond or copy of lease (duly certified by Gram Panchayet Pradhan) whichever is applicable.
- Two passport size recent photographs (not older than 6 months)-
What is Credit Limit of MJCC
The credit limit of the new card holders will be Rs. 2 lakh, which will be sufficient to cover the working capital requirements for fishing activities. Interest subvention will be granted on loans up to Rs. 2 lakh under the MJCC.
Fisheries farmers can avail an interest subvention of 2% per annum on working capital loans up to Rs. 2 lakh. The interest subvention will be available from the date of disbursement of the loan till the date of actual repayment by the farmer, or up to the due date of the loan fixed by the bank, whichever is earlier.
Fisheries farmers who repay their loans promptly will also get an additional interest subvention of 3% per annum. This means that the effective interest rate on the loan will be 5% per annum for farmers who repay their loans promptly.
|Loan amount||Interest subvention|
|Up to Rs. 2 lakh||2% per annum|
|Additional interest subvention for prompt repayment||3% per annum|
Repayment Period of Matsya jeebi Credit Card
The repayment period will be fixed as per the cash flow/income generation pattern of the activity undertaken by the borrower. For example, if the borrower is a fish farmer, the repayment period may be fixed as per the harvesting and marketing period for fish.
Govt Circular of MJCC
Action Points reg.: Matsya Jeebi Credit Card
Pursuant to the meeting chaired by the Chief Secretary on Monday 13th December 2021, the following points are placed for immediate action.
- Break-up target by GP. This had been intimated earlier. A confirmation report should be collected, collated and sent to HQ by every DFO, within 16th December 2021.
- With the support of the district administration, especially the DICO, teams for publicity and awareness must reach out to all applicants at ground level. The message to be conveyed is that applicants for MJCC will be accepted between 20th and 27th December 2021; that at the camps there will be help available for filling in and submitting the forms. The applicants must also be briefed about the documents required in support of their applications.
- The mobilisation camps must have adequate stocks of application forms, with at least 50% extra forms available in case of practice / wastage. The existing format must not be changed as this would cause delays in processing by the bank/s.
- Simultaneously, DFOs must co-ordinate with the district level officers of the State Cooperative banks to identify the possible bottlenecks and ensure speedy processing once the applications are received.
- DFOs must also tender for printing and lamination of 1.25 x of cards. The design and logo will be circulated shortly. The objective is to have cards ready for distribution within the 1st week of January 2022.
Sd/- Additional Chief Secretary
- Department of fisheries Help line Number :- 033-23570077
- Fisheries Department Email Id :- firstname.lastname@example.org
- IT Tower (7th & 8th Floor) 31-GN Block, Sector-V, Salt Lake, Kolkata-700091
Does Any Insurance Required for Matsya Jeebi Credit Card
No insurance is required up to Rs. 2 lakh.
How can I apply for the MJCC?
You can apply for the MJCC at any participating bank. The bank will assess your application and approve it if you meet the eligibility criteria. Once your application is approved, you will be issued an MJCC.
What is the interest rate on the MJCC?
The interest rate on the MJCC is subsidized by the government. The effective interest rate for small and marginal farmers is 7% per annum