West Bengal Govt Employees Leave Rules are considered from West Bengal Service Rule Part I, Rule 144 to 207. West Bengal State Govt Employee should know every rule of leave throughout their service life. In this context, we are trying to help the employee by providing an overview of Leave Rules for West Bengal Govt Employees
Quick Overview of West Bengal Govt Employees Leave Rules
Updated on 24.06.2022
|Types of Leave||Admissibility||Leave Period||Pay|
|Earned Leave||Private affairs and medical ground.||30 days per year, maximum credit 300 days.||Full Pay|
|Casual Leave||Private affairs and medical ground.||14 days in each calendar year.||Full Pay|
|Half Pay Leave||Private affairs and medical ground.||20 days for every year. advance half pay leave is permitted.||Half Pay.|
|Commuted Leave||a) Medical ground, not exceeding half the amount of half-pay leave due.|
b) Study purpose in the interest of public service up to a maximum of 90 days.
|Twice the amount of half pay leave is debited.||Full Pay.|
|Leave not Due||Medical ground-based on medical certificate.||360 days during the entire period of service.||Half Pay.|
|Extraordinary Leave||When no other leave is admissible.||No limit.||Without Pay & Allowances|
|Special Disability Leave||Disability by injury or in consequence of the due performance of official duties on the production of medical board’s certificate.||Maximum 24 months.||120 days Full Pay thereafter Half Pay.|
|Study Leave||Higher Study in the interest of public service.||12 months at any one time and 24 months during the service period.||Outside India, Full Pay + DA, within India Pay is admissible if Scholarship/ Stipend/ Part-time salary is not drawn.|
|Quarantine Leave||Specified infectious disease certified by a medical officer.||Normally 21 days, in exceptional cases 30 days.||Full Pay.|
|Maternity Leave||Only female Govt. employees. Also admissible for abortion and miscarriage.||Maximum 180 days, 6 weeks for miscarriage and abortion.||Full Pay.|
|Paternity Leave cum Child Care Leave||Only Male Govt. employees for taking care of up to two children up to 18 years of their age.||30 days.||Full Pay.|
|Child Care Leave||Only Female Govt. employees for taking care of up to two children up to 18 years of their age.||Maximum 730 days during the entire period of service.||Full Pay.|
|Child Adoption Leave||Only female Govt. employee with less than two surviving children, adopts a child of less than 1 (one) year||Maximum 135 days.||Full Pay.|
|Hospital Leave||Medical ground.||3 months.||Full Pay and thereafter Half Pay.|
|Special Sick Leave||Navel staff on medical ground.||Maximum 3 months.||Full Pay.|
Different Types of Leave Rules for West Bengal State Govt. Employees
Casual Leave Rules for West Bengal Govt Employees
The Definition and details of casual leave are described under West Bengal Govt Employees Leave Rules which is belongs to WBSR Vol – 1 Rule No 167
Key Points of Casual Leave for West Bengal Govt Employees’
- Casual Leave (CL) is not treated as leave. Means CL is granted to an eligible employee if they cannot report to work due to an unforeseen situation.
- Total no of CL is admissible for 14 days for each calendar year (January to December)
- CL is credited on 1st January
- Except very special circumstances the total period of C.L. and Holidays including Sunday taken together should not exceed 7 consecutive days
- Casual Leave shall not be combined with any other kind of leave.
- CL is sanctioned by the granting authority without hampering the public service
- There are provisions for sanctioning half days Casual Leave or Compensatory Casual Leave (CCL) on the 1st half or the 2nd half of the day. (Appendix 10 of WBSR – I)
- A Government employee on casual leave is not treated as absent from duty and his pay during such leave is not interrupted. (Rule 207 of WBSR Part 1)
- For New Joining Employee Casual Leave will be admissible on pro-rata basis.
মনে রাখুন –
একসাথে ৭ দিনের বেশি এই ছুটি অনুমোদন করা যায় না। এক্ষেত্রে মাঝে কোনো ছুটি(Holiday/Sunday) থাকলেও মোট অনুপস্থিতি যেন ৭ দিনের বেশি না হয়। যেমন: কোনো সপ্তাহের রবি, সোম, মঙ্গল বার ছুটি ছিলো বুধ, বৃহস্পতিবার অফিস খোলা আবার শুক্র, শনি, রবিবার ছুটি থাকলে। কোনো কর্মচারী যদি মাঝের ওই বুধ ও বৃহস্পতিবার C.L. চান। তবে তা মঞ্জুর করা যাবেনা। কারণ এখানে মোট অনুপস্থিতি ৮ দিন হয়ে যাচ্ছে।
Special Casual Leave for West Bengal Govt Employees
- As a general rule it is open to the competent authority to grant casual leave in combination with special casual leave, but in cases where it is permissible’ to grant regular leave in combination with special casual leave, casual leave should not be granted in combination with both special casual leave and regular leave. (Rule No 167)
- Special Casual Leave may be sanctioned for participation in sport events, cultural activities, and mountaineering expedition in any calendar year for maximum limit of 30 days (Appendix 11 of WBSR – I)
Half day Casual Leave for West Bengal Govt Employees
- Half day CL or CCL may be granted either on forenoon or afternoon session.
- A person who take half day casual leave/ compensatory casual leave for the forenoon session is required to attend office up to 1:45 pm.
- The privilege of taking half day casual leave/ compensatory casual leave shall not admissible on any day in which the office is not held for the full day.
- This is also not admissible on any day on which a Government employee is permitted to attend office late or leave office early by any general order. (Appendix 10 of WBSR – I)
Earned Leave for West Bengal Govt Employees
Earned leave for government employees earning in a department other than a vacation department under West Bengal Govt Employees Leave Rules(Rule 169 of WBSR-I):
- The leave account of every Government employee who is serving in a Department other than a vacation Department shall be credited with earned leave, in advance, in two instalments of 15 days each on the first day of January and July of every calendar year.
- The leave at the credit of a Government employee at the close if the previous half-year shall be carried forward to the next half-year subject to the condition that the leave so carried forward plus the credit for the half-year does not exceed the maximum limit of 240 days.
- Subject to the provisions of rule 34 and rule 168, the maximum earned leave that can be granted at a time shall be 120 days.
- Earned leave can be availed on Private affairs or Medical Ground. In the case of medical ground, a medical certificate should be submitted along with the application.
- Maximum credit of earned leave is 300 days. At the time of retirement one employee gets maximum 300 days of cash equivalent to leave salary.
- The credit for the half-year in with a Government employee is due to rehire or resign from the service shall be afforded only at the rate of 2 1/2 days per completed calendar month up to the date of retirement or resignation.
- If extra ordinary leave is taken by the employee or any period has been treated as dies-nondue to unauthorized absence then E.L. at his credit to be reduced by 1/10th of such period.
- When a Government employee is removed or dismissed from service or dies while in service, credit of earned leave shall be allowed at the rate of 2 1/2 days per completed calendar month up to the end of calendar month preceding the calendar month in which he is removed or dismissed from service or dies in service.
- Government employees belonging to a vacation Department posted, on deputation to Departments or organizations not falling in the category of vacation Departments shall be entitled to earned leave in respect of the period of deputation in accordance with the provisions laid down in rules 169 and 170.
Note : How to Calculate Earn Leave of West Bengal Govt Employee
For Calculation of EL please Follow the Govt Order
West Bengal Govt Employees Leave Rules – Half Pay Leave
Medical Leave rules for state government employees
- A Government employee shall be entitled to half-pay leave for 20 days in respect of each completed year of service.
- Half Pay Leave can be availed on Private affairs and Medical Ground.
- Half Pay Leave can combine with other leave except Casual Leave.
- If a Government employee is on leave on the day on which he completes 2 year ofservice, he shall be entitled to half-pay leave without having to return to duty.
- Commuted leave not exceeding half the amount of half-pay leave due may be granted on medical certificate to a Government employee subject to the conditions that—
- the authority competent to grant leave is satisfied that there is reasonable prospect of the Government employee returning to duty on its expiry ;
- when commuted leave is granted, twice the amount of such leave shall be debited against the half-pay leave due;
- the authority competent to grant leave obtains an undertaking from the Government employee that in the event of his resignation or retiring voluntarily from service be shall refund the difference between the leave-salary drawn during commuted leave and the leave-salary admissible during half-pay leave;
- half-pay leave upto a maximum of 180 days may be allowed to be commuted during the entire service (without production of medical certificate) where such leave is utilized for an approved course of study certified to be in public interest by the leave sanctioning authority.
West Bengal Govt Employees Leave Rules- Commuted Leave
- Commuted leave may be taken on medical ground against half pay leave at credit. 2 days H.P.L. will be deducted for 1 day commuted leave( Rule 173 of WBSR part 1.)
- Admissible on the Medical ground, not exceeding half the amount of half pay leave due and study purpose in the interest of public service, up to a maximum of 90 days.
Extraordinary Leave Rules for West Bengal Govt Employees
- Extra Ordinary Leave may be allowed in extra ordinary circumstances on application or to regularize a period of absence.
- No salary is allowed to draw for the period of such leave.
- The period of extra ordinary leave should not be adjusted against any kind of leave. (rule 175 of WBSR Part 1)
- Two spells of extra ordinary leave, if intervened by the other kind of leave the entire period be treated as one spell of extra ordinary leave.
Maternity Leave Rules for West Bengal Govt Employees
- Maternity leave is admissible for female employees (married or unmarried).
- A female employee may be granted this leave for a maximum period of 180 days.
- Maternity Leave not exceeding Six week may be granted in case of miscarriage including abortion. (Rule 199 of WBSR Part 1 & G.O. No.1146-F(P) dt. 14.02.2011)
- The period of such leave should not be adjusted against any kind of leave.
- The application of leave is supported by a certificate in the case of a Group ‘A’ Government employee from the authorized Medical attendant, and in the case of other Government employees from a ‘ registered medical practitioner.
West Bengal Govt Employees Leave Rules – Enhancement of Ceiling of Maternity leave
Government of West Bengal
No: 1146-F(P) Kolkata, the 14th February 2011
The matter of enhancement of the ceiling of Maternity Leave on the recommendation of the Fifth pay Commission has been under active consideration of the Government for some time past.
At present a female State Government employee is entitled to Maternity Leave for 135 days in terms of Rule 199 of West Bengal Service Rule, Part-I read with Finance Department Memo No. 3453-F dt 28.03.01.
After careful consideration of the matter the Governor has been pleased to decide that a female State Government employee may be granted Maternity Leave for a maximum of 180 days subject to the existing terms and conditions as laid down in Rule 199 of the West Bengal Service Rule, Part-I. This order shall take effect from 01.01.2011. Necessary amendments of the relevant Rules will be made in due course.
Sd/- S. K. Chattopadhyay
OSD & Ex-officio Special Secretary to the
Government of West Bengal, Finance Department.
Child adoption leave rules for west bengal govt employees
- Maternity leave is admissible for female employees.
- Maximum 135 days admissible as child adoption leave.
- Female Govt. employee with less than two surviving children and adopts a child aged less than 1 year can apply for leave.
West Bengal Govt Employees Leave Rules – Child Adoption Leave Rule memo
Government of West Bengal
No. 9728-F(P), Dated: 24.10.2011
Sub: Child adoption leave.
The matter of Child adoption leave was under active consideration of the Govt.
After careful consideration of the matter the Governor has been pleased to decide that if a female employee with less than two surviving children, adopts a child of less than 1 (one) year, she will be entitled to 135 days ‘Child adoption leave’.
For the ‘Child adoption leave’ period, salary drawn immediately before proceeding on leave shall be paid.
In continuation of child adoption leave, she may avail leave of any kind due and admissible for a period up to one year or till the child is one year old, whichever is earlier. Even leave not due and commuted leave up to 60 days without production of a Medical certificate is admissible.
This order shall take immediate effect from 01.10.2011.
Sd/- A.K. Das
Joint Secretary to the
Government of West Bengal
No. 9728-F dated 24.10.2011
West Bengal Govt Employees Leave Rules – Child Care Leave
Child Care Leave Rules for West Bengal Govt Employees
- A female employee having minor children may be granted this leave for a maximum period of 730 days during her entire service period.
- For taking care of upto two children upto 18 years of their age for their needs like examination and sickness etc.
- If may not be granted for less than 15 days in a spell
West Bengal Govt Employees Leave Rules – Child Care Leave Memo
Government of West Bengal
No. 1364-F(P) Dated: 15.02.2012
Consequent upon recommendation of the Fifth State Pay Commission for introduction of ‘Child Care Leave’ in favour of female State Government Employees, the matter has been under consideration of the Government for some time past.
After careful consideration of the matter, the undersigned is directed by the order of the Governor to say that the Female Govt. Employees having minor children may be granted Child Care Leave (CCL) by an authority competent to grant leave, for a maximum period of two years (i.e. 730 days) during their entire service period for taking care of upto two children upto 18 years of their age whether for rearing or to look after any of their needs like examination, sickness etc. subject to the following conditions:
- (i) During the period of such leave, the female employees shall be paid leave salary equal to the pay drawn immediately before proceeding on leave.
- (ii) It may not be granted in more than 3 (three) spells in a calendar year.
- (iii) It may not be granted for less than 15 days in a spell.
- (iv) Child Care Leave shall not be debited against the leave account.
- (v) It may be combined with leave of the kind due and admissible.
- (vi) Child Care Leave should not ordinarily be granted during the probation period except in case of certain extreme situation where the leave sanctioning authority is fully satisfied about the need of Child Care Leave to the probationer. It may also be ensured that the period for which such leave is sanctioned during probation is minimal.
- (vii) Other terms and conditions as applicable to sanctioning Earned Leave shall be applicable in the matter of sanctioning Child Care Leave.
- (viii) An account for the purpose shall have to be maintained under proper attestation by the leave sanctioning authority.
2. This order shall take effects from 1st January, 2012.
3. Formal amendments in the relevant rules of the West Bengal Service Rules will be made in due course.
Sd/- A.K. Das
Joint Secretary to the
Government of West Bengal,
No. 1364-F dated 15.02.2012
Benefit of Child Care Leave in respect of Adopted Child
West Bengal Govt Employees Leave Rules – Benefit of Child Care Leave
Governor has been pleased to decide to extend the benefit of Child Care Leave in respect of the adopted child to the regular female employees.
Government of West Bengal
Finance (Audit) Department
325, Sarat Chandra Chatterjee Road, Howrah-711102.
No. 2452-F(P) Dated, Howrah, the 21st April, 2017
Sub: Child Care Leave in respect of adopted child.
The matter of extending the benefit of the Child Care Leave in respect of the legally adopted child to the regular female teaching and non-teaching employees of Government sponsored/ non-Govt. aided Schools, Colleges, State aided Universities, Boards, District Primary School Councils, School Service Commission as well as to the regular female employees of Panchayat Raj and other Local Bodies, Undertakings, Corporations, Statutory Bodies who are entitled to Child Care Leave in terms of Finance Department Memo No. 5560-F(P) dt. 17.07.2015 read with 5780-F(P) dated 29.07.2015 was under consideration of the Government.
After careful consideration of the matter the Governor has been pleased to decide to extend the benefit of Child Care Leave in respect of the adopted child to the regular female teaching and non-teaching employees of Government sponsored/ non-Govt. aided Schools, Colleges, State aided Universities, Boards, District Primary School Councils, School Service Commission as well as to the regular female employees of Panchayat Raj and other Local Bodies, Undertakings, Corporations, Statutory Bodies who legally adopted such child. All other conditions as laid down in Finance Department’s Memo No. 5560-F(P) dated 17.07.2015 read with 5780-F(P) dated 29.07.2015 will remain the same.
This will take effect from 01.04.2017.
Sd/- H.K. Dwivedi
Principal Secretary to the
Government of West Bengal
No. 2452-F dated 21.04.2017, Source
Paternity Leave cum Child Care Leave Rules for West Bengal Govt Employees
Grant of Paternity-cum-Child Care Leave for 30 days to the male State Government employees and employees of Panchayat Raj & other Local Bodies, Boards, sponsored/ non-Govt. aided Schools & Colleges, State-aided Universities and Companies, Corporations, Undertakings etc.
- Only Male Govt. employee for taking care of upto two children for 30 days.
- This leave may be availed of during childbirth and upto the age of 18 years of the child.
- Such leave can be combined with leave of any other kind.
West Bengal Govt Employees Leave Rules Paternity leave Memo
Paternity Leave order govt of West Bengal
GOVERNMENT OF WEST BENGAL
No. 1100-F(P) Dated: 25.02.2016
Sub: Grant of Paternity-cum-Child Care Leave for 30 days to the male State Government employees and employees of Panchayat Raj & other Local Bodies, Boards, sponsored/ non-Govt. aided Schools & Colleges, State aided Universities and Companies, Corporations, Undertakings etc.
Introduction of Paternity-cum-Child Care Leave to the male State Government employees and such employees of Panchayat Raj & other Local Bodies, Boards, sponsored/ non-Govt. aided Schools & Colleges, State aided Universities and Companies Statutory Bodies, Undertakings and Corporations which are funded wholly or partially by the State Government was under active consideration of the Government for some time past.
2. Now, after careful consideration of the matter the Governor has been pleased to decide that all male State Government employees as well as such employees of the bodies, boards, educational institutions, entities etc. as above with less than two surviving children will be allowed Paternity-cum-Child Care Leave for 30 days in the following manner.
i) Such leave may be availed of during child birth and upto the age of 18 years of the child.
ii) During such leave he will be paid leave salary equal to the pay drawn immediately before proceeding on leave.
iii) Such leave can be combined with leave of any other kind.
iv) This will not be debited against the leave account.
3. Necessary amendment in the West Bengal Service Rules, Part-I will be made in due course. In case of Panchayat Raj & Local Bodies, Boards, sponsored/ non-Govt. aided Schools & Colleges etc. as above, the concerned Administrative Department will take steps for amendment in the relevant leave rules or regulations or bye-laws as applicable.
4. This order will take immediate effect.
Sd/- H. K. Dwivedi
Principal Secretary to the
Govt. of West Bengal
No. 1100-F dated 25.02.2016, Source
Quarantine leave rules for West Bengal Government Employees
- Quarantine Leave can be avail due to viral infectious diseases/ illness of the Employee or Family Members of the employee.
- Total day of leave is 21 days and in special cases it can be avail up to 30 days.
- The list of diseases for quarantine leaves are:
- Small Pox (Not chicken pox)
- Scarlet Fever
- Cerebro Spinal Meningitis
- For Employees engaged in cooking and serving, the following diseases are included in this list:
- Enteric Fever (Typhoid Fever)
- Malta Fever
- Paratyphoid Fever
- Quarantine leave can be avail with other leave under West Bengal Govt Employees Leave Rules
- This is a full pay leave.
Leave not Due
- Leave not due means advance leave, when the employee hasn’t any leave balance.
- It is a half pay leave. The employee has to adjust the leave after joining with half pay leave.
- Maximum 360 days in a service period it may be granted, but at a time maximum 90 days and with medical certificate 180 days of Leave not due can be granted.
West Bengal Govt Employees Leave Rules – Hospital Leave
Hospital leave means leave on account of ill-health granted to specified members of subordinate (services whose duties expose them to the special risk of accident or illness.
- Admissible full pay upto 3 month and thereafter half pay.
- The authority competent to appoint them substantively may grant hospital leave to, Government employees of the following classes while under medical treatment-for illness or injury, if such illness or injury is directly due to risks incurred in the course of their official duties:
- Forest Subordinates, other than clerks, in receipt of pay not exceeding Rs. 415.
- Government employees employed in Government Presses whether on fixed pay or on piece rates.
- Subordinates employed in Government Laboratories.
- Subordinates employed in the working of Government machinery.
- Peons and guards in permanent employ.
- Subordinates of the Excise Department on pay not exceeding Rs. 415.
- Head Warders or warders, male or female, of lunatic asylums.
- Syces of Government stallions.
- Subordinate Operational staff, other than clerks of the State-owned electric system
- drawing pay not exceeding Rs. 685 per mensem if the illness or injury is caused by shock received by them from high electric voltage in attending to electric installations for charging plant or to lines at power crossings.
- Leaders, Firemen and Drivers of the West Bengal Fire Service.
West Bengal Govt Employees Leave Rules – Special kinds of Leave
- Subject to the conditions hereinafter specified special disability leave may be granted to a Government employee whether permanent or temporary, who is disabled by injury intentionally inflicted or caused in, or in consequence of, the due performance of his official duties or in consequence of his official position.
- Such leave shall not he granted unless the disability manifested itself within three months of the occurrence to which it is attributed, and the person disabled acted with due promptitude in bringing it to notice, provided that if Government are satisfied as to the cause of the disability, such leave may be granted in cases where the disability manifested itself more thaw three months after the occurrence of its cause.
- The period of leave grafted shall be .such as is certified by a medical board to be necessary. It shall not be extended except on the certificate of a medical board, and shall in no case exceed 24 months.
- Such leave may be combined with leave of any other
- Such leave may be granted more than once if the disability is aggravated or reproduced in similar circumstances at a later date, but not more than 24 months oi such leave shall be granted in consequence of any one disability.